The lady in brown whispered tantalizingly, "Pick me up". The man could not believe his ears. After all its not everyday that he gets to thank his lucky stars...But then he coudn't get his nervousness come in the way of his charismatic fate. His mind had already taken him to a cool beach with sea waves dancing in his ears. With a renewed confidence in his gait, he walked closer. And closer.
But then he heard his name from somewhere far..the sound was disturbing to his blissful state. but then how could he not respond to his wife's voice, sweetly calling out him. He tried to regain his composure and to clean the imagery away from his suspicious wife. Before he could question her on her sudden arrival in her dreams, he saw the lovely glass being offered to him, by his wife. And then he heard those words again - "Pick me up...its your favourite Tiramisu".
Tiramisu is a delightful Italian dessert made of ladyfingers, soaked in coffee liquor and layered with a mix of egg yolks, mascarpone cheese and whipping cream and topped with cocoa. And it literally means "pick me up" (as you might have guessed by now!)
I tasted this lovely dessert for the first time in Dubai, around 2 years back. I surely loved it from the first bite itself. So immediately afterwards I was googling on ways to recreate the magic. And yes it was quite easy to make something so creamy and yummy. But then incidentally soon I fell sick with some kind of infection. And though there was no proof for the fact, yet I couldn't remove the evil thoughts of uncooked egg used as the spoiler. So for a long time, I didn't dare to make anything with uncooked egg.
So this time when I wanted to whip this treat once again, I knew it had to be eggless version. Specially when my son was going to have it. But please note, that its rather devoid of raw eggs than an eggless version, since most of the ladyfingers will have eggs in them. So if you really want an eggless version (out of reasons of diet, belief or occasion), I suggest you use eggless sponge cake as base than packed ladyfingers.
Easy Tiramisu Recipe
Recipe Source: Chocolate Suze
(Without using uncooked egg)
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup caster sugar
250 gm mascarpone cheese
12-15 lady fingers or sponge cake, depending on the size of your dish
1 cup strong coffee
Cocoa Powder for dusting
Chocolate shavings for decoration(optional)
- Brew coffee and keep it aside for cooling
- Whip the cream till it forms stiff peaks. Now fold in the sugar.
- Mix the mascarpone cheese in a separate bowl with a fork or spoon, till it becomes smooth. Now fold it gently to the whipped cream.
- Dip the ladyfingers in the cooled coffee on both sides , not more than 10 secs on each side.
- Take a square/circluar springform pan and layer it completely with the dipped sponge. If needed break the sponge to make an even layer.
- Now take 1/2 of the whipped cream mixture and layer the ladyfingers with it. Even it lightly with a spatula.
- Now make another layer of sponge and cream filling. Avoid making more layers than that, to avoid getting it lopsided.
- Now hide the cream with a nice dusting of cocoa powder. And keep it in the refrigerator to set for 4-5 hours.
- Alternately you can make individual servings in mason jars or glasses (as I did) to avoid the hassle of getting even layers.
Note: You can also use rum or liquor of your choice to deepen the flavour, if not serving to kids. If mascarpone is not available you can try making with ricotta cheese as well.
Enjoy serving it to your hubby and saying "Come, pick me up!"